What is S2S tracking?
S2S is a conversion method of tracking that does not use the 3rd party cookies or HTML 5 local storage, and the tracking request is executed only on the server. This way, the request is still visible in the browser and on the website, but it can not be blocked by an Adblock, for example. S2S (Server-to-Server) tracking may be more complicated to set up, but you get more accurate information to build better customer profiles.
When a user clicks a tracking link or generates an ad impression on the web, server-to-server tracking generates and stores a unique identifier. Every conversion (or other trackable action) a user makes, later on, is matched to this unique ID. The tracking server receives that same unique identifier as well.
Difference between S2S and Pixel tracking
Deciding which tracking method is better for your business can be difficult. Here is a short list of differences between the most popular tracking methods that can help you decide which one fits better into your marketing strategy.
- Also known as a marketing pixel, it is a 1×1 digital image embedded in the website´s content.
- More vulnerable due to browsers blocking the storage of web users´ data in cookies.
- Quick and easy to set up even for beginners.
- Beneficial for marketers, SEO specialists, and email senders.
- Can be inaccurate sometimes, because the tracking request is being sent from the browser, so if the cookies are deleted or blocked by Adblock, tracking is not possible.
- The customer has to have access to editing the website´s PHP code to be able to set up S2S tracking.
- Secure and more reliable.
- Has better prevention against fraud and postback fraud.
- Can be used to verify any distinct differences in conversion numbers.
- Harder to set up and may not be a good starting point for beginners.
- Most accurate tracking method. Tracking is not affected by the user deleting cookies (clearing their cache), if they are deleted an IP is used instead. This method of tracking can not be blocked.
Both methods can track any parameter of your campaign and it is up to you which one suits you better at this moment, it’s always possible to switch between these tracking methods or use both at the same time.
S2S in Post Affiliate Pro
Post Affiliate Pro allows you to track which conversions come from which affiliates. Each time a user views or clicks an affiliate link in an ad, a unique ID is generated and sent through the tracking URL. Merchants then store this ID on the server hosting the product landing page. When the transaction is done, the affiliate tracking server receives the ID by calling a postback URL at the conversion time. S2S tracking will help you know the exact time and location the conversion has been generated.
Benefits of S2S tracking
There are many benefits to Server-to-Server tracking. We are going to name a few and let you decide why S2S is the best tracking method for your affiliate marketing business.
- Accuracy. Individual transactions can be traced back to the specific affiliates. S2S tracking is immune to antivirus programs because the tracking is executed on the server and the browser doesn´t know about it. Thus it is not subjected to the same limitations as Cookie/Pixel tracking.
- Security. HTTPS encryption can be used on your postback URLs. S2S also prevents cookie stuffing. Transactions could only be generated through a click ID that matches the LeadID. This all helps prevent fraud and strengthens your page security.
Why use S2S in affiliate marketing?
Tracking cookies are soon to be a thing of the past, they are bound to disappear from the online world very soon due to new laws and restrictions being placed on them. Because of that, arming yourself with the best possible technology is a necessity for all online marketers.
S2S brings a more effective alternative to pixel tracking. Equip your business and affiliates with a reliable and secure tracking method to better serve your customers. Post Affiliate Pro will be with you every step of the way.
Frequently asked questions
Is it possible to execute a callback from Post Affiliate Pro?
Post Affiliate Pro allows you to define a Callback URL that is executed after each recorded transaction. You can define this feature in the Callback URL section of the merchant panel. For more information visit our Callback URL article.
Does Post Affiliate Pro support piggyback tracking?
Post Affiliate Pro does support piggyback tracking. This feature can be enabled through the merchant panel in the Affiliate Sale Tracking codes section. For more information about this feature, please, visit our knowledge base.